The baptism of the Holy Spirit is beautifully interwoven in our heritage. The Church of God holds the distinction of being the first known group in the United States upon whom the Spirit fell in Pentecostal fullness. The power of the Holy Spirit to fulfill the missional mandate of Christ has been a doctrinal emphasis since the outpouring of the Spirit fell in the early days of our denomination.
God has given to us a distinct and beautiful heritage; one that causes us to give glory, honor, and praise to Him. It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that we can live victoriously and expand the kingdom of God on earth.
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth” (Acts 1:18 NKJV)
As a Pentecostal people, we need a return to this genuine heritage by placing emphasis on understanding the requirements and the results of receiving the promise and power of the Holy Spirit by:
- Focusing attention on the roots and richness of our Pentecostal heritage
- Studying about the power of the Holy Spirit in the operation of the church
- Stimulating a fresh awareness of the fruit of the Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit
- Creating a hunger in believers to be filled with the Holy Spirit and to walk in the power of the Spirit
- Providing an environment for members to share about the work of the Holy Spirit in their lives
As we remember our heritage and celebrate our future, that same Holy Spirit will come upon us with all Pentecostal power.